I don't see similarities between X and Yogananda, but his X can be compared with Gandhi: both men admit to being fallible, both men identify powerful life altering moments in their lives, both men were seen as a threat by the ruling power.
X was as much driven by social change as he was religion; he and Gandhi spent their lives looking for truth, and while X missed the mark for a long time he was objectively searching. A fundamental difference with the men is their method. X spoke of a lesson Elijah Muhammad gave him over dinner in the chapter Savior- I would give you exact page but i bought the wrong addition so our page numbers are different, but the lesson states,
You want to know how to spread my teachings? he said, and he pointed to the glasses of
water. "Don't condemn if you see a person has a dirty glass of water," he said. "just show them
the clean glass of water you have. When they inspect it, you won't have to say that yours is
better."
Malcolm then says, "I don't know why, that still stands out in my mind. Although I haven't
always practiced it. I love too much to battle. I'm inclined to tell somebody if his glass of
water is dirty."
Gandhi's entire movement of nonviolence was showing the English their glass was dirty, and while he was a social critic I believe Gandhi would have agreed with E. Muhammad on this point--though with none of his other doctrines, because Gandhi repeated stated that truth always wins no matter how long it takes.
Welcome to The Malcolm X-Periment
As a part of our Spiritual Autobiography class presentation, we invite you to browse our site to enrich your knowledge of Malcolm X. We will be presenting The Autobiography of Malcolm X from Monday, March 17 through Friday, March 28, 2008. There will be questions and thoughts for the day posted on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. You are encouraged to respond openly and honestly--write as much as you want. This blog is for you! These responses will be brought into our class discussions as well. Our goal is to further your knowledge of Malcolm X by many different avenues: comparing and contrasting his way of fighting for civil rights to the ways of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., analyzing the movie starring Denzell Washington, and reviewing Malcolm X's numerous speeches including those he gave at Harvard.
Open your mind, eyes, and ears . . . discover the world of Malcolm X.
Open your mind, eyes, and ears . . . discover the world of Malcolm X.
Thursday, March 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment